Allergens In Your Home

Most Americans, including residents in Semmes, Alabama, spend approximately 90 percent of their time indoors. While this statistic is disheartening to some, the crux of the issue lies in your home’s poor indoor air quality. With air pollutants up to five times more concentrated in your home, mold, pet dander and other allergens can cause severe symptoms.


Mold is one of the most dangerous allergens in your home. A type of fungi, mold grows any place in your home that has excessive moisture, such as the kitchen, bathroom and basement.

If left untreated, mold can cause a plethora of health issues, including coughing, headaches, skin irritation and even death. The best way to limit mold growth is by controlling humidity, ideally with a whole-home dehumidifier.

Pet Dander

Your love for your furry friend is undeniable. But as much as you care for your pet, it can still pose an indoor air quality problem.

Composed of dead skin cells and hair, pet dander is one of the most common causes of allergy flare-ups. Proper grooming and vacuuming can limit the effects of this allergen.

You should also consider investing in an air purifier, which traps pet dander and prevents it from entering the home through your ductwork.

Volatile Organic Compounds

Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, are another problematic allergen in your home. This broad term encompasses many different gases and substances. Examples include paint, aerosol sprays, pesticides, household cleaners, glue and more.

The best way to avoid these substances in your home is to switch to all-natural products. If that’s not an option, ventilation is key to eliminate the risk of allergy issues.

When you perceive a problem with your indoor air quality, don’t hesitate to fix the problem. Call Air Specialty today at (251) 415-4559 to schedule an appointment.

Image provided by Bigstock

Pin It on Pinterest

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links