Indoor air quality and ductwork cleaning go hand in hand. In a southern climate, homeowners in Mobile need to pay special attention to the maintenance of their HVAC system due to the humidity and year round, animal-friendly environment. Below is a quick set of facts on how ducts get dirty, plus a short list of tips for cleaner, healthier indoor air.
Dirty Ductwork 101
Ductwork carries air from the handler to the vents in your home. With windows and doors closed, air is re-circulated through the ducts, carrying normal levels of in-home dust and debris. Inevitably, ducts will begin to see dirt build up, especially in homes with pets, renovation projects, dusty roads, or lots of opening and closing of doors and windows.
Once debris lines the ducts, airflow will begin to slow down and your HVAC system will have to work harder. Based on the temperature that you set, the HVAC is designed to push air through a smaller opening in order to maintain the correct temperature.
There are simple things homeowners can do to help keep the HVAC ductwork clean. Other maintenance projects will require a professional to service the system and ensure your HVAC is running at peak performance.
Dirty Ductwork Cleaning
- Change the air filter regularly. Inspect it once a month and change it when you can no longer see through it. If the filter gets clogged with dust and dirt, some of that material will blow past the filter and end up in the ductwork.
- Clean the house regularly. See all the hair, dust and debris in your vacuum after a good cleaning? That could have ended up in the ductwork.
- Regularly groom long-haired pets outside.
- Schedule a professional duct inspection every three or four years, and more often if you have any of the aforementioned risk factors.
- Schedule an annual maintenance on the HVAC system. A clean and tuned-up heating or cooling system won’t allow as much dirt and debris into the ducts.
- Check your evaporator coil to make sure the coil and its condensate pan and drain are clear of mold and bacteria. Consider using UV lights to eradicate these harmful micro-organisms.
To schedule a comprehensive ductwork cleaning, please contact us today at Air Specialty. We offer HVAC maintenance and system protection products and services for your home. For more than 20 years, Air Specialty has been proudly servicing the Mobile and Saraland communities.